Pages

Tuesday 30 March 2010

This Child of Mine

Written for my son when he was seven

My son said
Daddy
Why does the rain fall from the sky?
And can you tell me
Why does the sun shine down
From up so high?
I said son
So many people think they know
But the real reason
Is just because the good Lord
Made it so

My son said
Daddy
When I fall down and hurt my knee?
Tell me why
Why all the pain, why does it bleed ?
I said son
We are all the same deep inside
That’s why I hold you
And softly wipe the tears from your eyes

My son said
Daddy
Why do you spend all your time
Doing all that you do
Making sure I am never blue?
I said son
You are everything to me
You are the spark that brings
The joy to my heart

My son said
Daddy
One day when you grow old and weak
I promise to take care of you
Just like you take good care of me
I said
Son
You are my very best friend
Thank you for your devotion
Which I will cherish until the end

There is so much love inside this child of mine
A Mountain strong and an ocean deep
A gift of life to make my life complete
He is all that I will ever need

And

There is so much love inside this child of mine
He is all I ever wanted in my life
So I write this song to let him know
A reminder of how much I love him so

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous18 June, 2010

    This is very moving and sensitive. It's a beautiful way to remember the innocence of youth and even more touching that it was written for your son. I hope he appreciates the sentiment.

    JB x

    ReplyDelete