Pages

Friday 24 April 2009

I Do

One of the young people that I work with once told me that the only reason that I did my job was for the money and that I must get ‘bare douh’ for keeping him out of prison. This was my response…

I do it so that you

Can go to school

And get an education for free

I do it so that you receive a choice

Of what you want to be

I do it so that you can live a life without

Prejudice and fear

I do it so that you feel no shame

In being here

I do it so that I can look you in the eye

I do it so that you have the ability to read and write

I do it

So that you can hold your head up high

So that you shed no more tears

So that you do not die

Before the age of 21

I do it so that you have no reason to cheat or lie

Or steal from your mother

Or slap down your sister

Or diss your brother

So that you realise the meaning of pride

And wear it upon your body like skin

A choca mocha locca coat

Of history and dignity and self love

So that you do not allow

Knowledge to slip through your fingers

But instead let it seep into your mind

So that you find value in the sun and rain

And learn from your mistakes

I do it so that you do not make my mistakes your own

So that occasionally you will step out

Of your comfort zone

And try something new

Instead of feeding the stereotypes of the many

Who would have you remain one of the few

I do for you so that you do for you

And only ask that you do too

I do it so that

You stay true to the dreams

Of those that went before

I do it so that those that died

Died not in vain

For you are their legacy

And should shine like the Nubian star

That glorified the way to freedom

For those stubborn slaves

I do it so that you see beyond

The bling and rap superstars

The bitches and hoes mentality

That so tightly grips your reality

And strangleholds our community

So that you believe in yourself

And not those that say

That the only way

Is to get rich or die in the process

I do it so that

You will do for your children

And they in turn will do for their children

What you have seen me do

I do for you so that you do for you

And only ask that you do too

For the right to vote

To earn a decent wage

To live in a decent home

Filled with warmth and love

I do it so that those that do not

Can be stopped in their tracks

As they attempt to attract

The negative in us all

So that the positive in your heart

Will steer you away from the opposing path

I do it for you and your brother too

Your father sister and mother

So that they are secure in the knowledge

That their brother and son

Is safe and of solid mind

I am no martyr

I am only a man

But I do because I have to do

I do because I can

What no one else would want to do

Or is able to

I do so that you will aspire to be

And just like me

Eventually find your own inner peace

I do for you so that you do for you

And only ask that you do too

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bri, this is inspiring I think all young people we work with should have a copy of this. It would get them thinking. Have you thought about writing a book? lol Ros

    ReplyDelete